By Burton L. Visotzky
Hard to think yet true:
- The Passover Seder is a Greco-Roman symposium banquet
- The Talmud rabbis provided themselves as Stoic philosophers
- Synagogue structures have been Roman basilicas
- Hellenistic rhetoric professors informed sons of well-to-do Jews
- Zeus-Helios is depicted in synagogue mosaics throughout old Israel
- The Jewish courts have been named after the Roman political establishment, the Sanhedrin
- In Israel there have been synagogues the place the prayers have been recited in Greek.
Historians have lengthy debated the (re)birth of Judaism within the wake of the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple cult by way of the Romans in 70 CE. What changed that sacrificial cult was once right now whatever new–indebted to the very tradition of the Roman overlords–even because it additionally sought to maintain what little it might probably of the outdated Israelite faith. The Greco-Roman tradition within which rabbinic Judaism grew within the first 5 centuries of the typical period nurtured the improvement of Judaism as we nonetheless understand and have a good time it at the present time.
Arguing that its transformation from a Jerusalem-centered cult to a global faith was once made attainable by means of the Roman Empire, Rabbi Burton Visotzky provides Judaism as a particularly Roman faith. packed with interesting element from the way of life and tradition of Jewish groups around the Hellenistic international, Aphrodite and the Rabbis will entice someone attracted to the improvement of Judaism, faith, historical past, paintings and architecture.
Read or Download Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It PDF
Best judaism books
Günter Stemberger führt seit 1982 das bedeutende Werk von H. L. Strack castle, der 1887 die erste umfassende Einleitung in den Talmud in einer europäischen Sprache veröffentlicht und sie 1920 durch eine Einleitung in den Midrasch erweitert hatte. Günter Stemberger legt nun in der neunten Auflage eine vollständig neu bearbeitete, auf dem aktuellen Stand der Forschung erarbeitete Fassung dieser Einleitung vor.
The legislation of Cooking and Warming foodstuff on Shabbat is a accomplished presentation of hilkhot bishul and the reasoning at the back of the legislation. during this wideranging quantity, Rabbi Mordechai Willig offers and analyzes the reviews of the main revered voices in halakhic discourse. He lines the legislations from the biblical prohibition to rabbinic laws, and from medieval professionals to decisors of our time.
Old Jewish sacrifice has lengthy been misunderstood. a few locate in sacrifice the major to the mysterious and violent origins of human tradition. Others see those cultic rituals as only the fossilized vestiges of primitive superstition. a few think that old Jewish sacrifice used to be doomed from the beginning, destined to get replaced via the Christian eucharist.
This can be a very detailed consultant to shemitta. It used to be created to assist navigate an individual throughout the useful functions of shemitta observance in modern-day Israel. Shemitta is a space of halacha that wasn't totally practiced for over a millennium. Shemitta's no longer being practiced created a vacuum in halachic literature relating it.
- The Dialectic of the Holy: Paul Tillich’s Idea of Judaism within the History of Religion (Tillich Research)
- Between Jewish Tradition and Modernity: Rethinking an Old Opposition, Essays in Honor of David Ellenson
- Riddle of the Exodus: Startling Parallels Between Ancient Jewish Sources and the Egyptian Archaeological Record
- "Endlösung": Das Schicksal der Juden 1933 bis 1948 (German Edition)
- The Samaritans: A Profile
Additional info for Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It
Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It by Burton L. Visotzky